Veterinarians Issue Warning About This Deadly Over-The-Counter Product

Veterinarians just issued a horrifying warning to pet owners. I can’t believe this! Even if you’re not a cat person, you’ll find the news disturbing. The heartbreaking video of this cat suffering seizures and tremors from toxic exposure is just a little glimpse at how dangerous certain popular over-the-counter products can be. Every animal lover needs to know this!

As warm weather approaches, pet owners are desperate to protect their fur babies from fleas and other creepy critters. Even indoor cats need flea protection, but choosing the right product can be a matter of life or death.

Many different flea spot-on treatments and shampoos contain an insecticide called permethrin. Although the chemical is safe and highly effective in most animals, veterinarians are warning it’s extremely toxic to cats — and you might not even know it’s in the product you bought for your furry friend.

Exposure to even the slightest amount of permethrin can cause severe and fatal poisoning in cats. In fact, cats are so sensitive to permethrin that just brushing against or snuggling with a recently treated dog can be enough exposure to cause a reaction. With many households having both dogs and cats, this is a terrifyingly likely possibility — and the statistics are alarming.

40 percent of poisoned cats die or need to be euthanized due to the severity of permethrin poisoning, making it the most commonly reported fatal poisoning among cats worldwide. By the grace of God, the cat in the video below survived permethrin poisoning with proper treatment. The cat was thankfully discharged with no complications after three days of intensive treatment and 48 hours of sedation.

Signs of permethrin poisoning include severe muscle tremors, uncontrolled seizures, drooling, loss of coordination, fever and dilated pupils. Symptoms usually develop within a few hours, but in some cases the signs of permethrin poisoning may take up to three days to reveal themselves.

Immediate veterinary treatment is critical to increasing the chances of recovery. If the product was applied topically, veterinarians suggest quickly washing it away with warm water and mild detergent soap to prevent further absorption.

You’d be surprised how easy it is for so many cats to be accidentally exposed to the life-threatening chemical. Many permethrin products are available at shops around the world, but they’re not all labeled as dangerous to cats. The lack of clear labeling and professional assistance puts every cat owner at risk!

“Hartz is one of the companies that uses Permethrin in their OTC flea and tick medicine. We used it once on our cats and they immediately started shaking, foaming at the mouth, and vomiting. Sometimes it pays to NOT go the cheap route when it comes to chemicals.” says Facebook user Rob Max.

What’s even more disturbing is that permethrin can also be found in a flower that’s common in numerous homes.

Many people have no clue that Chrysanthemum flowers contain naturally occurring compounds called pyrethrins, which creates the insecticide permethrin! Unfortunately, animals are sometimes tempted by these colorful plants and will eat them out of curiosity. Veterinarians suggest growing them in a protected area where your pet can’t access them — or, better yet, avoiding them entirely if you’re a cat owner. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather not risk my fur baby’s life!

Warning — this video of a cat with permethrin poisoning might disturb you:

Consult your veterinarian before choosing any flea or tick preventative for your family pets! To ensure the safety of all pets, please spread the word of this terrifying poison.

Featured Image Credit: Pexels