Fox News finally broke its silence on Laura Ingraham’s future at the network, releasing a statement on Monday standing by the embattled conservative host amid a boycott led by liberal activists.
“We cannot and will not allow voices to be censored by agenda-driven intimidation efforts,” Fox News co-president Jack Abernethy said in a statement. “We look forward to having Laura Ingraham back hosting her program next Monday when she returns from spring vacation with her children.”
Speculation ran wild on social media after Ingraham announced last week that she was taking a week off to spend time with her children amid the boycott campaign started by Parkland survivor David Hogg.
Hogg, who went from high school student to prominent gun control activist, targeted Ingraham’s top advertisers after she mocked him for getting rejected by a number of colleges. Hogg even went as far as to tweet — and then delete — contact information of executives of Arby’s in an attempt to shame the restaurant into cutting ties with Ingraham.
Ingraham has since apologized, but Hogg has refused to accept her apology because he didn’t believe it to be sincere. When she announced she was taking a break, Hogg tweeted, “Have some healthy reflections this Holy Week.”
Have some healthy reflections this Holy Week. https://t.co/bjSLmj3gyH
— David Hogg (@davidhogg111) March 31, 2018
However, looks can be deceiving. Hogg and others might have assumed Ingraham’s absence meant her job was in jeopardy, but Fox News said the vacation was pre-planned all along. Further, the blunt statement from Fox News on Monday suggests the network does not intend to fold under the boycott threats.
What do you think of the Fox News response to David Hogg’s boycott?
Featured image via Fox News/Screengrab