Man Dies 5 Days After Getting Religious Tattoo, Doctors Warn Others To Learn From His Mistake

If you’re on the fence about getting a tattoo, here’s one more horrifying risk to consider when making your very permanent decision. Please protect your children and young adults. Every parent needs to read this.

Today, tattoos are more popular than ever. As WebMD reports: “Nearly 30% of Americans have at least 1 tattoo, and those with 1 rarely stop there. Almost 70% of them have 2 or more.”

Tattoo shop regulations can vary from state to state and even town to town. While some communities may not have any restrictions at all. Minors, for example, can legally get tattoos in five states (Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Idaho and Kansas).

With tattoo shops seemingly on every corner, doctors have long-warned of the scary risks associated with getting a tattoo. But what most young adults fail to consider are the countless dangers that come before — and after — making the decision to permanently ink their skin.

Last week, an unnamed young man reportedly endured a tragic death just five short days after getting a religious tattoo on his calf.  (Warning: This article contains graphic images.) 

The deceased man’s tragic story began after he received a new tattoo and reportedly ignored the tattoo artist’s advice to wait at least two weeks before submerging it in any swimming pool or seawater.

Shortly after enjoying a swim in the Gulf of Mexico, the man developed a fever and chills. As reported in the British Medical Journal Case Reports, the man had become infected with Vibrio vulnificus, a dangerous pathogen that is present in swimming pools and coastal areas. Wounds infected by the deadly bacteria have a mortality rate of approximately 25 percent.

Two days after the man ignored the critical advice, a rash began to form around his tattoo and the symptoms became worse. The dying young man was rushed to the hospital. But by the time he was under medical care, his leg had turned purple. His right calf, where the tattoo was, quickly developed deep wounds due to the infection.

The man was on life support and battling septic shock and cellulitis — an infection of the deeper layers of skin and the underlying tissue. His immune system was overtaken by the infection and his organs were struggling to function. Although the man’s condition improved after a few weeks, the damage to his body was so severe that he passed away after two months in the intensive care unit.

Now, the young man’s grieving family hopes others will learn from his deadly decision to ignore expert advise after getting a tattoo.

Watch the full report in the video below: 

Tattoo artists should urge people to wait for at least two weeks before submerging the healing area in water. Experts warn that submerging open sores such as tattoos in water– whether a pool, bath or seawater — poses a threat of infection.

With the summer months upon us, countless young adults will contemplate getting a tattoo while vacationing with friends. Please warn your family of the many dangers associated with tattoos and share this young man’s tragic story — by doing so you may safe a life! 

Embedded Image Credit: Toby Alter/Flickr / Embedded Image Credits:  INDALOMANIA/Wikimedia Commonsterimakasih0/PixabayJohntex/Wikimedia Commons, Daily Mail via BMJ Case Reports