Everyone seems to have an opinion about President Donald Trump’s marriage to First Lady Melania Trump. It seems innuendo and rumor have become the norm when it comes to presidential couple.
Since today is Melania’s 48th birthday today, we thought it would be a good time to look at what she has actually said about her marriage to Trump. Here are just nine quotes from the first lady that sum up her relationship with Trump.
1. “Amazing heart. Amazing mind. Leader. That’s what I say, leader.”
That’s how Melania Trump responded when she was asked to describe her husband in just one word during a Fox News interview in 2016.
2. “We have a great relationship. We are own people. I’m my own person. He’s his own person. And I think that’s very important. I don’t want to change him. He doesn’t want to change me.”
The first lady made it clear they accept each other unconditionally as husband and wife during an interview on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” in 2016.
3. “We are very equal in the relationship and that’s very important. You know to marry a man like Donald, you know you need to know who you are. And you need to be very strong and smart. He needs to know he can rely on me sometimes, you know? And we share a lot of stuff together.”
During a 2005 interview with CNN’s Larry King, Melania proudly embraced her role as mother in the Trump household.
4. “It’s a lot of responsibility for a woman to be married to a man like my husband … We have a great relationship. We are both very independent. We know what our roles are and we are happy with them.”
This particular quote came during an interview about parenting in Parenting magazine in 2015.
5. “He is tough when he has to be, but he is also kind and fair and caring. This kindness is not always noted, but it is there for all to see. That is one reason I fell in love with him to begin with.”
Melania Trump opened up about falling in love with her husband at the Republican National Convention in 2016.
6. “People, they don’t really know me. People think and talk about me like, ‘Oh, poor Melania.’ Don’t feel sorry for me. I can handle everything.”
This one should be required reading for everyone speculating about the presidential couple’s relationship. Melania Trump told Anderson Cooper in 2016 that he marriage to Trump is “very strong,” despite what their critics say.
7. “I give him my opinions, and sometimes he takes them in, and sometimes he does not. Do I agree with him all the time? No. I think it is good for a healthy relationship. I am not a ‘yes’ person.”
Anyone who is married knows it’s important to be able to disagree in a healthy way. That’s what the first lady was getting at during her comments to Harper’s Bazaar in 2016.
8. “He is a very understanding husband,” she said. “If I say, ‘I need an hour, I’m going to take a bath,’ or I’m having a massage, he doesn’t have nothing against it. He’s very supportive in that way.”
While Melania Trump certainly puts a lot of effort into raising their son, Barron, she also knows how to take some time for herself. In a 2005 interview, she said her husband is very understanding when she needs some “me” time.
9. “I don’t want to say come home and be with me. I don’t want to change him. I want to give him space and I think that’s very important in the relationship.”
Melania told Larry King in 2005 that one of the keys to her marriage is the fact that she gives her husband space.