This grieving family is living through every parent’s worst nightmare and the unsuspecting item responsible for their child’s death is most likely found in your home. Please don’t let this happen to your child. Every parent, grandparent, and caretaker needs to see this!
It all started when 2-year-old Brianna Florer’s parents noticed that she had a low-grade fever. But things soon took a tragic turn when little Brianna suddenly began to turn blue and threw up blood.
The Florer’s called an ambulance and rushed their toddler to the hospital, but their beautiful baby girl soon died from one horrifyingly simple reason. And in the midst of this family’s incomprehensible grief, they pray no parent lives through the same tragedy.
When they finally reached the hospital, x-rays revealed the frighteningly simple reason why she was dying: little Brianna had ingested a button battery that was smaller than a dime.
Precious little Brianna was immediately transported to another hospital where she was rushed into surgery to attempt to remove the battery.
“They operated on her for 2 hours, but they couldn’t stop the bleeding,” explained Brianna’s grandfather, Kent Vice, according to Daily Mail. “They believed the battery ate through to her carotid artery by way of her esophagus.” He continued, “One minute she is perfect, and the next minute she is dead. We had no idea when she swallowed it.”
Now this grieving grandfather is sending all parents, grandparents, and caretakers this sobering message:
“I want to keep these things out of houses, they are dangerous.”
Think you may be free from these tiny dangers? Think again: these batteries are commonly found in gadgets, such as remote-control cars, TV remotes, novelty musical greeting cards, and even children’s toys.
And the horrifying statistics are proof. According to Daily Mail, “There were 11,940 cases of children swallowing batteries from 2005 to 2014.”
An electric current from the battery combines with saliva to produce sodium hydroxide — or caustic soda. This can burn through the esophagus and surrounding blood vessels, causing potentially fatal damage within a couple of hours.
“Pre-school age children are most at risk because these batteries are shiny and the same size as a Smartie. Children will think it’s a sweet, pop it in their mouth and swallow it. The child can bleed to death.” says Dr Kate Parkins, a pediatrician and consultant at Manchester University Hospitals Trust.
With countless stories to prove the danger of button batteries, Dr. Parkins has called for a Department of Health campaign to increase awareness.
Pictured above is another family who knows all too well the horrors of button batteries. Ammar and Fatima Norwalk’s 13-month-old son, Wsam Noorwali, died in August 2012 from internal bleeding after a battery in his stomach corroded an artery wall.
“When I lost my son I lost a part of myself,” says Fatima. “I don’t want his death to be in vain. I want all parents to be aware of the dangers batteries can cause.”
With the countless tragic stories of young children who have swallowed button batteries, every parent needs to recognize the severe danger their children face when batteries are left within their reach.
Watch what happens when this mom puts a button battery inside a hotdog — and imagine what it could do to your son or daughter’s stomach. The proof is simply horrifying.
This is one experiment that’s worth watching — and sharing it could save a life. Every parent needs to see this. Watch the shocking video below:
Please, don’t put your children at risk. Keep batteries in a locked container or medicine bottle far above their reach! We must entrust our children to the Lord and do our part to protect them. Please help to raise awareness, share this with every parent you know!