Veterinarians Issue Terrifying Warning About This Deadly Danger

Imagine cuddling with your beloved fur baby one night, only to find it unexpectedly dead the next morning. It’s a heartbreaking reality Mary Dlugoz just experienced, and now veterinarians are issuing warnings about the deadly danger that could be right in front of you.

Maggie was a healthy 6-year-old dog with a full life ahead of her. But everything changed when she went to play outside on a Friday night.

By Saturday morning, Maggie was dead. It’s a nightmare her owner can’t seem to escape.

“There is just a pit in your stomach you wake up in the morning it just hits you right away,” said Dlugoz. “You know she’s gone. It’s just a big loss like a big hole in your heart you can’t fill.”

It turns out a deadly danger was growing in her yard, and Mary Dlugoz never knew until it was too late. She’s speaking out in hopes that others don’t have to go through the same grief she’s enduring from losing her precious Maggie. Every pet owner needs to know this gut-wrenching horror.

“She died from eating mushrooms in her own backyard,” said Dlugoz.

Veterinarians claim mushroom poisoning is one of the most common illnesses diagnosed, and tragically most pets don’t survive. Due to the amount of time dogs spend outdoors or in wooded areas, particularly in the summer and fall, the odds of ingesting a poisonous mushroom is high.

In fact, Dwayne ‘The Rock” Johnson lost his dog Brutus to mushroom poisoning in September 2015.

Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We’ll always love you Brutus.. and you’ll always be my lil’ main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WishICouldHaveSavedYouOneMoreTime #TheresPickUpTrucksInHeavenYouCanPeeIn

A post shared by therock (@therock) on

So what attracts dogs to the dangerous mushrooms? According to Dr. Evan Morse of Warrensville Animal Hospital, it’s the “fishy” smell and taste of mushrooms. The severity of the poisoning depends on the kind of mushroom your dog consumes and the amount of mushrooms he eats. Dr. Morse says he has diagnosed mushroom poisoning too many times during the course of his four-decade career.

Symptoms vary drastically depending on the type of mushroom ingested. Below are some of the more common symptoms associated with mushroom poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
  • Uncoordinated movements
  • Excessive drooling (ptyalism)
  • Seizures
  • Coma

Mary’s worst nightmare has already turned into a reality, but she finds peace in knowing her story could save someone else from heartbreak.

“I just miss her, I miss her so much,” said Dlugoz. “If we can save one other dog it will all be worth it.”

If you notice your dog eat a mushroom, get to a veterinarian or emergency veterinarian immediately. The sooner you bring your dog in, the greater the chances are for your dog’s survival. If you wait until clinical signs develop, veterinarians warn, it may be too late to treat your dog effectively.

Please share this article to show more pet owners this deadly warning! You could save a life.

Photo credit: Ron Clausen/Wikimedia Commons